Mystery by the Sea meets the second Monday of the month from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. in the upstairs meeting room of the Greenbrier Library, located at 1214 Volvo Parkway in Chesapeake, Virginia. There are exceptions, though, like when we take a field trip, or if the meeting falls on a Monday holiday when the library is closed. Current meeting information is posted on the home page of this blog.
Meetings consist of a few minutes of chapter business followed by a program which may include one of the following:
- Presentation on a topic related to the fine art of mystery writing
- A general group discussion on issues related to writing or publication
- A writing session with an opportunity to share your work.
Our more experienced members are generous with their knowledge and are available at every meeting to answer questions or share experiences.
Previous meeting topics have included:
- Handwriting analyst Betsy Patterson, who analyzed the writings of serial killer Ted Bundy, and also some of our own signatures.
- Speaker forums with Chris Reardon, author of Don’t Murder Your Mystery, and Tracy Dunham, author of Yes, the River Knows.
- Member-led writing workshops on topics such as poisons, short story writing and sparking creativity, among others.
- An evening with a Chesapeake homicide detective.
- Field trips to the Norfolk Crime Lab and Norfolk Police Department.
- Q&A sessions with published mystery writers.
Stop by sometime . . . we’d love to meet you.
For more information, e-mail chapter president Teresa at email@example.com.