NOTE: THE GUIDELINES WERE UPDATED ON AUGUST 18, 2014 AND REFLECT A CHANGE THAT INCREASES THE DESIRED WORD COUNT FROM 5,000 MAX TO 6,000 MAX.
Sponsored by: Central Virginia & Mysteries by the Sea Chapter Members
- All Sisters in Crime members of the Central-Virginia and Mysteries by the Sea chapters submitting manuscripts will have been members of Sisters in Crime National by December 30, 2014. Submissions will be accepted between July 1, 2014 and December 30, 2014.
- Each member may submit up to two manuscripts. However, only one manuscript will be accepted in the initial round of review. Caveat: If we do not receive enough acceptable submissions, additional stories by the same author may be selected.
- Each member who submits a manuscript agrees to read and score three other manuscripts submitted for the anthology. Authors will be given a 3-digit code for blind readings by submitting authors.
- Each member who submits a manuscript agrees to promote and attend book signings for the anthology.
- Royalties will be divided equally between Central Virginia and Mysteries by the Sea chapters.
- The story must be in the mystery genre and include a Virginia location.
- Stories must be between 1,500–6,000 words and must be an original story that has not been previously published. No dual submissions.
- Each author who is accepted for publication will be required to sign a contract.
- Manuscript(s), Cover Sheet and Biography will be submitted electronically using standard formatting (double-spaced, Times New Roman, one-inch margins). The manuscript may not contain the author’s name.
- Each page will include the story title and page number at the top left. Example: Just Another Killer Day in Paradise 2. It should not contain the author’s name.
- Please ensure your word processing program does not embed the author’s name in the identifying information about the file. (In Word, go to File/Properties/Summary to remove author’s name).
- Place ### after each scene change.
- Place THE END or ### after the last line of your story
- Cover Sheet
- Please include a cover sheet with the story title, word count, name, email address, and phone number.
- Author Bio
- Please include up to a 100-word bio. Website and email address may be included if you like. Accepted authors can modify bio before book is published.
- Please send one email with 3 attachments: (1) Manuscript (can send up to two manuscripts), (2) Cover Sheet, (3) Biography to email@example.com between July 1, 2014 and December 30, 2014. The subject line should read VIFM 2 Anthology Submission.
- Once submissions are received authors will receive a confirmation and 3-digit code for blind readings.
- Submissions that do not conform to these requests will be disqualified. The coordinating panel reserves the right to disqualify any manuscript for reasons that will be communicated to the author.
- Editorial panel will recommend revisions to the author to make the manuscript more suitable for publication. Editorial panel may submit to the anthology.
PUBLISHER RESEARCH PANEL
- Researchers will contact publishers and make recommendations to the anthology committee. Research panel may submit to the anthology.
- Coordinating panel will oversee the anthology process, accept/track submissions, cover-sheets, biographies and work with the Editorial and Publisher panels. Coordinating panel may submit to the anthology. Coordinating panel will negotiate contract once publisher is selected.
If you have any questions regarding the anthology process, please contact Teresa Inge firstname.lastname@example.org or Mary Miley email@example.com. Thank you for submitting to the Sisters in Crime, Central Virginia and Mysteries by the Sea Chapter anthology!